Saturday, June 20, 2009

Musical french fries

I hope you have had the chance to read your June ensign. In it is an article about the heaven we are trying to emulate here on earth and why we do. The author makes the statement that we try to be like God, the Father and his son Jesus Christ because that is the only way we will feel comfortable in their presence.
This makes a LOT of sense to me- S'matter of fact, it is a commandment to be like Jesus Christ.
So, in thinking of becoming a complete person like the Savior some questions arise- not just about how He behaved to his mom, brothers and sisters, fellows, poor, rich etc... but also about the kind of ART, LITERATURE AND MUSIC that the Lord and our Heavenly Parents patronize.
In the article, the author talks about music and draws a FANTASTIC correlation between Music and FOOD- two of my favorite things- which compares certain kinds of music to certain kinds of foods. His analogy is indirect but impressive. He says that certain kinds of music could be considered "MUSICAL FRENCH FRIES".
I LOVE this. It made me laugh out loud. But it also made me think a bit about the music I listen to. You know I am a classical pianist (I'm HORRIBLE in Jazz) and my husband is a classical composer. This does not necessarily mean that there are no classical french fries. BUT. The assumption that not all music is "nutritious" music to continue the analogy is important. I do not listen to most mainstream music. I think it is boring- it's just noise to me. I don't listen to the "inspirational" EFY music, Pop, Country, or anything that has just rapidly spoken rhyming words. But this is not because I'm trying to be a musical elitist. nope. I have consciously developed a palate for music that has certain characteristics: innovative chord progression, new rhythmic motifs, non-traditional movements, diverse instrumentation, and fusion to name a few. These kinds of music are part of a "well balanced diet"- not "french fries". Now, I'm not saying that musical french fries are always bad. No- not at all! I LIKE french fries. They are yummy in controlled portions. I'm thinking Morgan Spurlock when I say that eating french fries everyday probably ruins the taste and the fun of eating them- leaving you thirsting for MORE. More french fries with more salt, more fat, more sauce.
So, what is the point of all this rambling?
Simply this: if it is important to our souls to keep our body healthy by eating a balanced diet of food, then it could also reasonably be said of our minds- to keep our minds and EARS healthy by listening to the kinds of music that are not french fries. Expand your taste and you may find that there are LOTS of other "flavors" besides french fries that you like.
It does not have to be classical.
But I'll always think thats a good place to start.:)

2 comments:

Taylor said...

This is a really nice analogy, I am sure I'll be using it in my Music Appreciation classes. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Maybe i'm wrong, but it sounds like you are saying that the kind of music we appreciate reflects our relationship to the Savior. When talking about demeaning or degrading music versus Mozart, I would agree. However, I get the idea that is not all you are refering to, so I would have to disagree. Music has it's purposes in life, most of them entertainment. So in this sense, as long as it is not demeaning or teaching bad morals, I would have to say that the Savior doesn't care how knowledgeable your musical palate is, or what your personal preferences are, as long as you have a personal relationship with Him. just a thought.