Tuesday, June 24, 2008

aaaand, we're back!

I've just returned from Girl's Camp! What a neat experience to have again- only this time in a totally different position! The last time I was at camp was when I was the "dirty duties lady" and c'mon, thats not a "FUN!" position. So, this time, I went as a ward camp leader. We do our girls camp very differently here in SLC. The ward leaders are in charge of EVERYTHING- one ward leader gets to plan all the crafts for the week; another one the service activity; another one the certification yada yada yada... Well, I was in charge of FOOD and I must say, that was an enormous job. It really made me appreciate the sacrifices made on my behalf so I could enjoy healthy, plentiful meals when I was a girl. Thank you to the pervious camp cookies who have served at girls camp year after year. Now I understand what you  have gone through. I'm sorry. the whole camp experience this year gave me a new-found appreciation for the camp leaders I've had in the past. Please allow me to reminisce. I'm grateful to Monica Kibble, Stacy Frost, Aikele, March, Hunt, My dad, my mom, Helen Thompson, Kerri Satterfield, Carol Gould, Barb Leal, Brother Leal, Capsons, Robin Riggs, Blanca Fetokai, the Sables, Pat, Lanette Hopkins, Bonnie and Jim Mattson and all the wonderful people who I can see in my head but not remember their names. YOU made my experience wonderful, magical, spiritual. I have attempted to do this year for my girls what you attempted to do for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
We utilized some Liahona traditions for camp this year! The girls began their certification/camp necklaces! They were always concerned with earning more beads- because I still have mine and everyone wanted to get farther and farther along to look like mine. Made me glad that I kept it after all this time.
We also pirated freely from my marching band experience. Whenever a girl left something in the eating/gathering pavilion that should not have been left, we (the leaders) collected it and would only give it back to the girls if they "squirreled" for it singing this song:
Grey squirrel, grey squirrel, shake your bushy tail
grey squirrel, grey squirrel, shake your bushy tail
Turn around and touch your toes
stick a nut up your nose
grey squirrel, grey squirrel shake your bushy tail.

This produces mainly 2 responses: 
1- mortification. These girls never left anything out again
2- encouragement. These girls left things over and over again! Pretty soon, we have a few girls leaving things out so often, we thought they did it because they liked singing the squirrel song. So, we changed their song. Instead of singing Grey Squirrel, they were obliged to do "the pencil". This consisted of them turning their backsides to the audience and writing the alphabet with their bums. Or their names in cursive. Think leading the music in seminary- now transfer that random hand wave to a posterior and it was EXTREMELY funny- and made me red in the face to demonstrate once.
When the girls were late to anything, they had to sing "I'm a little tea-pot" complete with actions. Again, I think some girls just liked to perform- and others never showed up late again.

All in all, it was a terrific week. We did a lot of good things, had a lot of fun and were really grateful to be back.

I'll post photos as soon as I have some!

6 comments:

Lanette - Never Give Up! said...

Ashley I feel terrible that I never sent you the song book - I found one and then totally lost my mind in my camp prep and forgot to ask Dave to scan it. Sounds like you had a great time! You are a fabulous, wonderful person to take that on with such short notice. I will keep a songbook out for you for next year....I love the alphabet idea - I might use that...

Sam said...

Mija, your gratitude for people that I love is a tender experience for me. Thankyou for being exactly who you are. It'll be great to see your notes you 'camp guru' you!
-mom, not sam

Sam said...

i wish i could go 2 grls camp... but i don't wish i was a girl, enough said.
-actually san this time

Monica said...

My sweet Ashley,
I love girls camp!! I remember coming up to camp for your tree with your mom and Sharon and Coni. What a fun time. I hope you know how much I love you. You are truly awesome, what lucky girls to have YOU as a leader.

Sam said...

YOU COOKED!?! scary...
ha ha just kidding sister you cook well enough but luckily your dad is an engineer and can cook chicken on marshmallow sticks!

-joe

CA Poppy said...

Ashley, As an eye witness to your contributions to your Girls Camp, I can say that you had great leaders to encourage you, and now you get to return the favor to the next generation. You did an outstanding job, and with some notes on what went good, and what could be improved, you could pass that knowledge on to other Girls Camp volunteers in your area, in California, and in Canada. You should also tell the story of the lady and the rope swing. (just don't brag) Tell the truth about the incident, what you did, and how you felt in the emergency situation. We are very pleased with you and your service.

Hugs and Kisses,

the father unit