Monday, June 30, 2008

Why we get certified

My father has requested that I share my experience with the "Lady and the rope swing". I've been instructed not to brag- Me?.
This is why we certify at girls camp for 4 years!
The last night of girls camp, we invited the stake leaders and parents up for a night- very similar to Liahona. At camp we have a rope swing. It is about 10 feet off the ground  so you have to hike up a hill to even get on the thing and when you swing, your apex is about 15-18 feet up in the air. It is an exhilarating feeling swinging so high up.
One of the leaders who came up to camp went to the rope swing and fell off at the apex- apparently, she lost her grip- and landed on her hands, breaking her wrist. I was in the "kitchen" at the time, and the girls ran from the swing to the kitchen to tell me what had happened. Quickly, I started out for the swing with some girls right behind me. I sent one for the camp director and one for a long sleeve t-shirt. When I got to the area, poor Michelle was laying on the ground with her arm out sideways, obviously trying not to cry too hard.
I arrived first, asked her the basic questions, looked at her wrist and -this is the important part- began to do the things I was taught at girls camp to do. We tried to splint, but it was too painful, so I made a quick sling out of the long-sleeve t-shirt, keeping her talking not focusing on the pain. We got her slowly to her feet, sent some girls to get the brothers who were with us, and slowly walked her to camp. When we got there, everything was ready for her to be taken to the hospital.
During the course of it all, I felt like I knew what I was doing because I had been learning how to do this for 4 years and had also just been teaching it during my girls' certification. The knowledge of how to identify, treat and transport injuries and injured persons was invaluable. This is truly why we do certification- just like the prophets have been saying for EVER: be prepared!

2 comments:

CA Poppy said...

Thank you Ashley. You are right, this is one of the reasons that the youth attend Girl's Camp and Scouting activities. We cannot predict accidents, but we can be prepared to treat injuries, and all it takes is a little education. This is one more testiment to the wisdom of our leaders to provide activities and education for our youth to help them be prepared for the future. I am pleased that you knew what to do, and how to do it. I'm also sure Michelle appreciates your help.
Hugs and Kisses,
Dad

Amy & Ethan said...

Oh Sister, who'd a thunk it? Now you're the one fixing the injuries at camp instead of getting them, we've come a long way! Sounds like you had a good time, I wish we could go to camp again together-that would be quite the party.

Much Love,
you're older, shorter and much more blonde sister