Sunday, August 10, 2008

The cake

Well, here it is! This is the Lightning McQueen cake I worked on for 2 days! Isn't it awesome?!
The red "icing" is a read fondant (that I also made). Unfortunately, the fondant I made is not friendly to heat, and also is not that wonderful to roll out in big sheets... Verily, I got a read fondant about 1/8 inch thick and lumpy in most places.
The tires are the wonderful Hostess Chocolate Frosted Donettes. The "windows" are white fondant, as well as the "swoop".
The anatomy of a cake: We  (Devany and I) built this cake in two steps: a regular pan "rectangle" cake and a "bowl" cake that we glued together with icing and then sculpted out McQueen's hood, side and back- adding cake where we needed to build him up.
Here's the back! Notice the tail lights? Devany had a wonderful idea- and its even better that it worked! Take those sugar-coated, "fruit wedges" and roll them out with LOTS of granulated sugar. Then, cut out your shape and stick on! They were easy and lots of fun!
 Check back for pics of the actual party!

5 comments:

CA Poppy said...

Very cool cake! Joseph said he wants a cake like that for his birthday. love Mom

Laura McBride said...

Great work! Any pics of the birthday boy??

Jeanne said...

Too too cute! I guess you've joined the daily ranks of making special cakes. :)

Tricia said...

Wow, what an awesome cake. It is hard to believe James is two already.
Tricia

CA Poppy said...

I think the read fondant is cool, but i like the yeallow flames better, and the bleack tires even more. You did a great job on the cake. I would love to sea more pictures of the birthday boy two. I think my speall cheacker meay be going on the freaitz. lolshiwmp!
We love you all, D(e)ad