Friday, February 6, 2009

Just a few thoughts

I had an epiphany the other day and I think I'll share:
I was reading in the newspaper about all the hoopla surrounding the Superbowl and have come to a realization of a few things I really do not care about.
I really don't care about the superbowl. When I was in school, it seemed really important to know who and what the superbowl was all about, so I pretended to the BEST of my ability to be interested in the whole shebang. I think I am finally in a place where I can say- I did NOT watch the superbowl, I DO NOT regret that and I am not going to watch it next year. Some may argue that its important to keep abreast of the pop-culture influences and the Superbowl is one of those things, but i think it is a waste of my time and i really am not that concerned about being "cool" anymore.

I do not care about being fashionable anymore. When I worked at Nordys, it was imperative for my job that I look the part. Don't get me wrong, I still care about looking nice- but my idea of what looks good on me and the stuff i see when out shopping, it makes me think I was born in the wrong era. I prefer to wear cardigans, witty shirts (like Mental floss) and I don't mind skirts that come to my knees. A bikini and I will never get along. Neither will "skinny jeans". And black is always in style.

I do not care about straightening my hair. This was a big one for me... used to be that I straightened my hair everyday! What a waste of nice looking hair! I've accepted my hair for what it is- curly, and have not messed with that for a LONG time now. Plus, I'm a mom of a toddler with another on the way- I don't have TIME to straighten my hair! AND, I LIKE my hair. 'nuff said.

But some things I DO care about:
I DO care about my son getting the help he needs when and where he needs it- even if I have to drive all over creation. He is the light of my life- thats why I call him my "sunshine".
I DO care very deeply about my family. They need me as much as I need them. This simple statement applies to my parents and in-laws as well.
I DO care about music. This may seem like a trite statement, but consider this: I have made music my profession- I studied VERY hard and practiced for COUNTLESS hours to become as skilled as i am today. This kind of devotion to my craft makes it an invaluable piece of my personality; it influences my thoughts, my actions, my feelings, what I read, what I'm making for dinner and who I can talk comfortably to. It is one of the reasons I have my husband and why we are doing well together. Some people prefer a date to the movies- I prefer a date to the Symphony. I'm NOT saying I don't ALSO like going to the movies- because I do- but there is another feeling altogether associated with the sounds of the Symphony. I have a piano studio with 9 students- MOST of whom are 8 or older. I am taking my older students to see Rachmaninoff's Piano concerto No.2 at the Utah Symphony in April and the TOTAL cost of their tickets was $132.00. contrast that with a SINGLE ticket to see The Eagles (who I will NEVER bad-mouth in ANYWAY, they are great rock musicians), a single ticket to see The Eagles is OVER $400.00. This seems a LITTLE out of whack to me, but no matter- I care about music in a very disciplined way that most people will never understand.
I DO care about the gospel. I can honestly say that it is the foundation of my faith which manifests itself in so many different ways and I am grateful for the positive influence it has been for my life, giving me direction, motivation and comfort when none seemed possible.

I think I'm done now- James just woke up from his nap, but I needed to share. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

D and C said...

Ashley, I LOVE YOU!!! Period. You are amazing, and I love you to pieces. LEts play! You need to come over!
LOVE YOU!