Saturday, May 2, 2009

Confessions...

We just got back from the Dollar Theatre. Yes, I know that means we're poor. BUT it also means that we are aware of our poor-ness:).

And, we saw this delightful film: Confessions of a Shopaholic. 

I realize that not everyone will enjoy this film, but- se la vie.
WE enjoyed it for so many different reasons:
1. No swearing
2. No sex
3. No scantily clad women doing inappropriate things.
4. DARLING shoes (thats for me:)
5. little love story (for the romantic in us all)
6. A timely critique of the American Capitalist system regarding the use and seeming necessity of debt to make the world go round, but the pain of re-paying said debt, AND the joys of saving and spending wisely.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing my mom portrayed to perfection:) So, Mom, that means that as soon as you can, SEE THIS FILM and remember what its like to do GREAT thrifting!
But I have to tell you, when the film was complete, the lights came up and people were filing out. Drue (who came with me- he's such a good sport) looked around and made the following observation:
"I think I'm the only guy in here."
At which I looked around (in shock) and replied:
"yes, honey. I think you are!"
Drue:"I thought I smelled a bit of estrogen"
Me:"Well, now, you're not the only guy in here anymore- look, the Janitor has just come in!"
At which observation we both laughed out loud. Life can be so absurd sometimes!

But, back to this cute little movie. Its a safe movie for a date (kiss at the end), or an illustrative narrative about the problems of carrying consumer debt without being able to pay it off.
Also, THE SHOES ARE FANTASTIC!!!

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

"c'est la vie"

CA Poppy said...

I'll plan on seeing it with your Dad.Your Dad and I watched "little Doritt" and we loved it.It's a Masterpiece Theatre and I think you would enjoy it.