Saturday, February 6, 2010

How many things can you do with Cornmeal?

I have a crisis.
For the Polenta, I need to purchase a coarse ground cornmeal, specifically one that had grains the size of large sand pebbles. I found the Bob's Red Mill variety and it seemed to work well- I thought it went well anyways.
The problem is that NOW I have a full 1.5 cups of coarse ground cornmeal with nothing to do- recipe wise.

So, tonight I did the ultimate pioneer-woman menu: cornmeal pancakes with a blueberry compote.

The compote was DE-LISH-US. Of course, it's hard to screw up just basic fruit, water, sugar, and lemon juice.

The pancakes. Well, I just don't think pancakes should ever be crunchy.

Thanks to the pioneers who ate crunchy pancakes so I don't have to. Thank you, guys. You blazed the way to smooth, fluffy cakes from a very wet batter cooked on a non-stick griddle. Amen.

And now, what do I do with the rest of the cornmeal?


3 comments:

Rice Family said...

You could put the cornmeal in the blender to make it fine and then it would be good for muffins, bread, or just make more polenta. If you were eating fish I would say to coat your fish in it (yum!) but you could coat tofu I guess ... good luck!

Jeanne said...

Grind the cornmeal in your wheat grinder and make corn bread...or just make cornbread without grinding it. Yummy.

Taylor said...

What about tortillas? or tamales? I s'pose finding authentic Mex' stuff might be a little hard in Nebraska, so just become the cocinera yourself!