Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The morning commute

We are so lucky to live here. I absolutely LOVE Lincoln, NE. We have made great family memories here, and even though the weather can turn inclement on a dime, there's not much that we don't like about Lincoln.
One of those things is traffic. There is no traffic. At least, not like the traffic I grew up dealing with. Concord at 6:30-8:30am? HORRIFIC.
Lincoln? None. Nein. Zilch. Zero.
Nada.

So, taking Drue to the bus stop on the way to dropping James off at school is not a problem.

Yesterday morning, we were in the car driving to the bus stop. As we were driving, I was making a mental list of the order of things to be done. And you know how sometimes in your distraction you mumble things aloud? That's what I was doing.
"Mom, what are you doing?", comes from the back seat.
"I'm just talking to myself", I answer.
"Can I talk to myself?", he asks so sweetly and innocently.
"Of course you can."
"Okay. Good morning, James. 
Hi. How are you?
Good! Did you finnish your homework?
Yes! Did you eat your breakfast?
Yes! It was good. Are you ready to go to school?
Yes!
Okay. Let's go!
Mom, I'm all done!"

(At this point I'm struggling to keep my laughter in silent mode so I could listen to this personal little exchange)

He's so sweet. And also quite literal!

1 comment:

Rice Family said...

So funny! I can't believe how grown up and mature he is getting! I love moments like these that put a smile on your face!!!