Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Thrift Store

Or: Why I bought a rain coat for james 4 years ago because it was a dollar and I knew I'd need it someday.

Have you ever had the experience of finding that AMAZING deal at a thrift store? The item fits perfectly. It's exactly what you need. You find yourself wondering how you have made it thus far through life without that item.

This story is not about that item.

Instead, its a short, but triumphant, mini-yahoo about thrift store shopping for the future.

When we lived in Utah, we had a thrift store, the likes of which I had not seen, and still have found no equivalent. The D-I. And not just any D.I. It was the Sugarhouse D.I.
We went every weekend. And sometimes I'd go in the middle of the week just because.
On one excursion to that promised land, I found a packable rain coat. Now, I happen to know a bit about  hiking and proper equipment for camping- I did work at REI in high school- and it finally paid off! THis was not a name-brand rain coat, but it had all the ingredients. So, I bought it.

Low and behold, it's a child's coat.

Well well. That's not a problem because I have two children. I tried it on J and it was a circus tent on him! I put it away until he could fit into it andI have been hauling that half-a-bag-of-beans sized coat/bag around for 4 years and today- today it finally fits!

Take this lesson to heart: Sometimes it's okay to buy a thing you will need in the future if and only if it's something to grow into, because the other way around is a rare thing:)

NO MORE!

No comments: