Friday, December 19, 2008

picky eaters

This picture is of my picky eater. Let me explain.
Bill Cosby talks about a "curse" laid on children by their parents when they are misbehaving and the parents just can't take it anymore. Here is the basic wording:
" I hope, when you have children, that they act exactly the same way YOU ACT!"
I KNOW I've heard that curse before- who hasn't? But this curse really only came about for me when we were sitting down to dinner. I am a picky eater. yes, its true. And all of you know it well. 
Let me relate a story about my youth as a picky eater.
I was visiting my Granna and Grandaddy with my mom and dad and we were just sitting down to dinner. Dinner included Mashed Potatoes. YUMMMM! except that these mashed potatoes had pepper flakes in it- most people add pepper to their mashed potatoes- and that displeased me. I sat at dinner and picked out every single flake of pepper from my mashed potatoes before I would eat any of it.
You want more proof?
I have picked onions out of Fideo, spaghetti sauce, stir fry, guacamole, refried beans, meats of all kinds etc... I can taste onions in Latkes, potato salad (which I still only eat my own because I don't add onions) etc..
I scrape off onions from my hamburgers from McD's with a french fry and then dispose of said fry so it won't contaminate my other fries.
I am a picky eater.
Turns out- so is my son.
hooray.

Last night, we went to Sweet Tomatoes to celebrate Drue completing all of his requirements to graduate with his MM a semester early!
James decided to become the worlds best picky eater.
He turned his nose from:
Bread
Blueberry Muffin
Mac and Cheese
pasta
Jello
Orange slices
chocolate pudding
ice cream
apples
cheese 
soup

Here's what he will eat:
apple juice
PB&J (open faced only)
chocolate chip cookies (I made the mistake of giving him one to eat after "dinner")
milk and water

I am extremely concerned that this child is going to malnourish HIMSELF- because I won't let my kids eat cookies for breakfast, lunch and dinner
I need need NEED ideas of foods that 2 year olds will eat... help me put "the curse" out!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter loves peas. We have no idea why, but she scarfs those things down. She will even eat them frozen. No guarantees, but that works for us. Ours is pretty picky as well. She frequently requests chicken nuggets for breakfast. We used to give her smoothies with all kinds of "yucky" stuff in them...

CA Poppy said...

LMAO

Your "picky eater" will eat anything when he gets hungry enough. I'm saying to starve him, but some children, like one of our daughters, will get over the pickiness (Joe Bob says check the mirror)

BTW, PBJ and milk is a complete meal, and does not need to be supplemented by a Flintsones vitamin, even if endorsed by people that wouldn't recognize shinola if it bit them on the nose.

Provide nutrition and variety. Eat it your self. Lead by example so your son learns to eat good things, and quit worrying about the little annoyances of life.

Things could be worse. Be glad he does not have a fivehead.

Hugs and Kisses,

Dad

Laura McBride said...

Cade has gotten a lot better, BUT would only eat pancakes, chicken nuggets and PB& J. I finally decided that I wasn't a short order cook (mostly for dinner) and he had to have at least ONE bite of 'our' dinner. If after that one bite he gagged he gets the option of bread and water, or nothing. Getting him to take that one bite can be a long and loud process, but it has worked. He realizes that he liked more food than his eyes were telling him! Also, my sister's daughter has the same thing every day. Yogurt, fruit, grilled cheese and NO DINNER, cuz she won't eat it. She's nearly 4 and it hasn't changed for a year and half. Her doc says not to worry, give her a vitamin, and she drinks V8 fusion to get her veggies in. For Christmas Cade is getting CARS vitamins. :) MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!