Saturday, December 5, 2009

Ward Party 2009

I'm sorry this post doesn't have any pictures. I took my camera with every intention of taking pics, but I was working HARD, on my broken foot, ALL DAY. Not even exaggerating on this one. I woke up at 7:30 and it was GO GO GO until 10pm last night. I'm sure you have had a day like that- they are just hard to remember how incredibly exhausting they are. So, yesterday plus my non-sleeping 6 month old and my non-sleeping 3 year old make for one VERY tired mommy- and forgetful. Sorry.

Just to recap:
last year's ward party in Salt Lake was terrible for me.
Food: soggy potato bar with mystery meat in meat sauce with frozen lettuce salad and cold, over-cooked cross cut green beans, and hard roll.
Entertainment: well, when the accordion music began, we left.

This year, I was in charge so we did things Concord style! And it was GREAT!
Food: Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, glazed carrots, homemade rolls (yum!).
Entertainment: nice ward choir program centered on the scriptural story of the Advent.

The story:
I knew what I wanted to do for this party since I got called to the Activities chair in August
I remember my mom and dad cooking (seemingly neverending) turkeys for the ward christmas party every year. I remember assembling salads, serving, working in the kitchen, cleaning up, singing in the choir and generally being involved with every aspect of the Ward christmas party for Concord 2nd ward, pretty much every year. And I loved it. So, when it came my turn to plan the christmas party, I just did what I'd ben trained to do- I threw a ward christmas party like the one's I grew up working in. There must be a gospel parallel here but I'm still recuperating, so don't ask me to think quite yet.

Everything went off without a hitch- thanks to my ARMY of volunteers, because I didn't get a committee that could help me until last sunday.

There was only one thing that didn't happen and that was the background music during dinner- amongst all the things I was thinking about and remembering, I forgot to pick up my ipod which I had loaded with great christmas music. Oh well. NEXT YEAR!

And we added one thing: FAMILY PICTURES! Since we have 3 professional photogs in our ward, I got one to volunteer to take family pictures, since folks were all dressed up anyways, I thought it might be a nice thing for them. They seemed to like it.

We did have one kid that threw up, but he did it at his family's table and not by the food (thank you!) and I don't think it was because of the food.

So, really, it was a success.

Lesson for next time: reduce stress levels by evaluating the tools in the kitchen BEFORE the day to cook. Also, it would be nice to be in the kitchen the WHOLE time, and not have to leave to play for the ward choir. And while I guess I had control over where I would be- since I was in charge- I'll just think a bit about that before hand.

And we came in UNDER budget.

(contented sigh and smile)

1 comment:

CA Poppy said...

Congratulations Ashley. We are very pleased you were able to use the "training" you got when younger. Be sure to train others in the what you have learned, that way others can take over in the near future and you get a rest occasionally. I also suggest you keep a notebook with all the details so you do not have to re-learn lessons in years to come.

Hugs and Kisses,

Dad and Mom