Sunday, January 31, 2010

vegetarianism

I've been thinking a lot about what we eat (I know I've discussed this before)- not because I think we are crazy unhealthy or anything like that. No. I just want to try something new. A new way to cook, plan meals and bring my family together at night:
We are trying a whole month of being vegetarian.

This may end in disaster.

But it also might be a really great experience.

And, I've chosen February to do this. After all, it's only 28 days. If I hate it, it'll be over in EXACTLY 4 weeks.

So, the rules:
Meat ( beef, pork, poultry, fish ) is off the menu.
But milk, butter, eggs and cheese are still okay.
Veg, obviously.
Fruit too
Salad at every dinner
and I'm making all of our bread.

My sister-in-law, Jeanne, is the one who turned me on to making a menu which I have been faithfully doing week by week- instead of by the month, like her- for years now. It's a fantastic way to budget and plan ahead. But since I'm trying to improve my cooking repertoire, I'll need a Month budget instead of just a week so I don't repeat any recipes.

Tomorrow:
Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon-Caper Vinagrette over Linguine

3 comments:

Rice Family said...

Good Luck! I hope it works out for you guys! I tried no gluten for a month ... I lasted one week ... I hope your venture goes better than mine! Try hummus. We love hummus as a protein choice. Sending good veggie thoughts your way!

Kierst said...

I LOVE making all of my bread and I'm sad that I haven't been able to in the last month. In fact, I think I've bought more bread in the last 2 months than I have in the last 2 years because I always make it. As far as going veg, good for you! I would love some of your favorite recipes. If you want a really yummy crockpot vegetarian chili recipe, I have one.

Taylor said...

You might remember that I was a vegetarian for three years. I really liked doing it. I felt good (both morally and physically). I'd probably still be doing it if it wasn't so inconvenient for my wife...

You have to be careful not to overdo it, though. Its easy to let the "vegetarian" thing dictate ridiculously complicated and time-consuming recipes.