Sunday, August 22, 2010

Return to normalcy

I don't really have a picture for normal. Do you?

We are really excited around here for the return of our routine for 9 months of the year. A full 2/3 of the year is spent in much the same way. And boy am I glad.

I've heard it said that there are 3 good reasons to be a teacher- June July and August. (thanks Taylor)
I disagree.
To me and mine, June, July and August mean a departure from the routine, un-structured time, too many people in the house at one time. I cannot keep my house CLEAN with all 3 boys home. 2? yes. 3? no. Not a chance.
It's not that I'm ungrateful for the extra time spent with family. I have to say, it's been GREAT having Drue home for the summer in the morning- he makes a great "manny" for when I need to do Yoga AND it's Oliver's nap time. Soooooo nice. I go do yoga and D stays home while O sleeps. It's a win-win-win.
HOWEVER
being a teacher means there is NO income for 2 months. Well, that's not really true. I teach piano, so there is some income. But the lion's share takes a vacation.
Here's what I love about the end of august/ september:
School starts
income returns
I have the house to myself and Oliver for 4 hours a day!!!!! (It might actually STAY clean, or at least picked up)
There are more, but I can't list them all....

And all the fun things happening this fall deserve a mention:
Picking apples at the Martin's Hillside Orchard
Drue's recital (I'm playing in the trio)
My triathlon
Amy's wedding and week-long trip to CA
The ward campout
Roadshow
Halloween

And that is just September and October!

I love the school year.

More specifically I love school. I love everything about school- new subjects, new teachers, new friends, new supplies (this is my particular downfall. I purchased school supplies this year even though my pre-schooler needs none of it), new clothes; A new lease on life, a new beginning.

So, yes. I'm a bit envious of my 4 year old who gets to go to school.

But I will not trade my 4 hours of peace for anything.

No comments: