Friday, September 3, 2010

Funny as heck

Sorry, no photo for this one either.
But I promise to elaborate enough so you get the picture.

Thursday was the Music Department Picnic and Drue invited the boys and I up to campus to partake of the free food. Free anything is a great reason to go anywhere in my book. As a matter of fact, I'm going to CA in 4 weeks to see a free wedding:) But that's another story.
So, we go to campus. James is running around and showing everyone his fishing pole.
(side note on the fishing pole. Our neighbors moved recently and James was very good friends with the kiddos. These particular children had more toys than I've ever seen in one place- and of course, they left some behind in the move. This fishing pole is the remains of a Spiderman fishing pole that used to light up, used to have a line and sinker and decoy fish attached, used to have a spinning.... well, whatever that spinning thing is inside the handle of a fishing pole. Essentially, he rescued from their trash pile a shell of a one-time fishing pole. And he loves this thing. So OBVIOUSLY it had to come with us to the picnic. Nothing like fishing at a picnic.)
People are laughing at how cute James is and cooing at Oliver who is toodling around- such an angel. But the wasps are getting really excited about all the free food for them so we decide to move our family indoors.
This plan is working beautifully: the kids are contained, food is consumed, things are good.

UNTIL

James. He is 4 and has very little understanding about what is appropriate to say aloud and what we need to keep to ourselves.

Enter rather rotund man. Walking down the hall towards us.

James notices him.

and in a stage whisper says:

Wow. You're REALLY big. That's Amazing!


It is fortunate for us that at the same time, this same man is commenting to James on how neat his fishing pole is so we cannot be sure whether or not he heard our little boy's observation.

But how do you explain to a 4 year old (who just barely is beginning to communicate his feelings, wants, and discoveries to us) what is appropriate to say to strangers and what might not be as acceptable???

We laughed hard after that poor man was securely out of sight. But what do you do?!

5 comments:

Kierst said...

London sang a song to my dad "I have a big fat Grandpa..." when really the words are, "I have a dear old Grandpa..." It was hilarious, especially since my dad is the skinniest I've ever seen him. Oh, and she tells me I have a fat butt all the time. Finally I started getting mad at her and she backed off a little, but it is hard to know where to draw the line with these kids.

Jeanne said...

Have you ever seen the church movie, "Out of the Mouths of Babes"? Your story reminds me of the movie. It is from the late 70's and is funny! If you haven't seen it, it is worth checking the church library for it.

Shelli Snyder said...

Loved it. I can't wait until Chiara can talk. :)

Anna and Jon said...

I didn't even know you had a blog. Thanks for filling me in. NOT. Now I will stalk you.

A Momma said...

Poor big man.
That's a preschooler for ya.
Crazy kids.