Monday, September 20, 2010

ModPodge Shoes

Here are my shoes. Aren't they cute? Did you know I made them? That's right. Made.
I and my close-knit group of crafterhours girlfriends LOVE to get together and make fun stuff costing almost nothing that other people like to pay mucho dinero for. Like DARLING ballet flat shoes.

Here's what they looked like before:
And after:
So how did I do it?
easy answer- ModPodge.
Here's how
1. I cut off the stringy bow thing
2. I purchased fantastic Moda fabric- don't you love it?! it only takes a fat quater OR a 1/4 yard.
3. Using a craft sponge and a bowl of ModPodge you start at the toe and glue the underside down first- paint, spread fabric, let dry. repeat. repeat. repeat until the whole shoe has been covered.
4. With scissors, make an incision where your foot should go (remember it's covered with fabric?) 1/2 inch from the back to 1/2 inch from the toe.
5. cut out the rest of your foot hole.
6. every 1/4-1/2 inch or so, make a cut perpendicular to the shoe (so when you fold the fabric to the inside, it will lay flat).
7. Using ModPodge again, glue the fabric flaps to the inside of the shoe, covering the sides of the foot hole.
8. If you haven't already, make sure your fabric is ModPodged to the shoe ALL THE WAY to the sole. There will be left-over fabric. Do not worry- it comes off next.
9. Using an exacto knife or a crafting knife, cut the excess fabric from around the sole.
10. ModPodge the heck out of the fabric on TOP.
11. you're done!!!! Let them dry. Wear them out.

just a side note: the ModPodge dries stiff so if flexibility is something you desire in a shoe, we're working on that...

1 comment:

Shelli Snyder said...

I LOVE Moda fabric ... I made our comforter out of it. Daisy print, because I'm so predictable. :) And your shoes are SO darling. I never cease to be impressed with your ever-blossoming craftiness!!