Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Day #22: Thankful turkey

Family Home Evening.
Or, as we lovingly referred to it when I was growing up, Family Fight Night.
I've heard of people who had wonderful FHE experiences, full of loving and insightful words of wisdom from the scriptures and parents, fun things to do that have been planned all week, a delicious treat baked with care by Mom that day, with nary a snarky word nor hurt feeling.

But then, how much fun would that be if that was the ONLY kind of FHE?!
Ours was a full-on brawl that opened and ended with prayer.
I jest.
Maybe.

Drue and I have been trying to get FHE to be interesting for our EXTREMELY demanding audience and difficult demographic: namely, male children aged 2.5 to 5.

But we have found something that really seems to work!
ART LESSONS!!!

That's right. Every monday night, we have a small lesson that focuses around drawing.
Monday's lesson was about gratitude (what else?!).
See how thankful we are:
Just in case you can't read our thankful-feathers, here's what we came up with:
Parks and Recreation (the activity and the show. I heart Ron Swanson)
Warm water
Good friends
Family
Fresh bread
Train tracks
Volcano
Sewing machine
House
Yoga
Spider (I'll let you know that I am NOT thankful for spider. James is)

Happy thanksgiving and may your FHE's always be merry and bright.

No comments: