Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day #33-#37: Before and After

Moving is the worst. Why don't I EVER seem to remember that?!
I always get excited about moving.
A time to cull through the accumulated crap of a few years spent in one place.
A time to go piece by piece and evaluate the worth of every pen and pin.
Did it serve it's purpose this year? Did I use it even once?
Did I even know I had one of those?
If the answer is ever 'no', then out it goes!
But when the answer is 'yes'.... well, things get cramped quick.

 Lovely, isn't it? 
I honestly thought I was going to LOOSE my MIND.
The boys thought it was hysterical to remove all the things I had carefully packed and use them as weapons/bouncy things/missiles.
Boys.

Then, we moved all the stuff from one tiny place to a MUCH bigger place.
I feel like a grown-up.
I have a Master Suite with a bathroom AND walk-in closet that connect only to MY bedroom and not to any adjacent hallway.
I have another whole bathroom for the convenience of everyone else.
I have an extra 2 feet of head room- because I now have 12-foot ceilings.
You want to come stay with us because you happen to be passing through Nebraska?
Fine! I have an extra 400 square feet to oblige you.
And a very comfy sleeping bag.

The Living Room from the boy's hall, in front of the laundry room. Notice my stockings hung on the wall? Yeah, we don't have a fire-place.

The Living Room from the front door. Do you see my crown moulding? Looking at the laundry room doors, to the left is the boys room, to the right is the boy's/visiting bathroom. It's huge. Like, waste-of-space huge. I love it. But the toilets are low-flow and the pressurized water flush has a very loud "WHOOSH!!" sound that scared the pant off of James the first time he used it.
It was both sad for him and very very funny for us.

The Dining Room off to the immediate left of the Living Room. I've got a project going on that Armoire with the Nutcrackers on it. It might be done in 10 years. We'll see.

The Kitchen to the right of the Dining Room. I LOVE THIS KITCHEN FOR THE COUNTER SPACE. You can't see it in the photo, so come over already and I'll make something delicious for you.

My bedroom looks EXACTLY like I remember my parent's room looking for my ENTIRE LIFE. Clean laundry on the bed, separated in to piles that will eventually be moved not to their destination, but to the floor of the room so the inhabitants can slumber. Did you notice the sleeping bag?
James is back to sleeping in my room.
It's been tough on that poor guy.
But last night he slept in his own room until 6am this morning when he came booking it into mine. And just because I told you that, he'll be in my room tonight at midnight. Awesome.

The view of 'The Office'. I wish I had a cool theme song to play here. But no.
Big picture will be hanging here soon. But I need to hit up Home Depot for a wall-anchor.

I'm not sure if you noticed this amazing piece of home decor in the earlier picture of the living room, but I just HAD to show it off!
My dear friend made this for me for my birthday. Isn't it beautiful?! It's made of old sheet music!!!! So, you know, it's PERFECT for the music nerd family. And truly prodigious in dimension! It's almost 3 feet in diameter. Yeah, my dear friend loves me that much.

And here's the nook. When the christmas season is over, a bookshelf will occupy that place on the wall and I will have what I've always wanted: a library. Or at least a place to sit and read. Wing-back chairs are my new obsession.

I would have taken you through my closets and bathrooms, but some things need to remain a mystery. Amen and amen.

ps. Do you love my tiny tree? Big ones are expensive and I'm poor cheap frugal. So take that, consumerism!

2 comments:

The McKnights said...

i love the frugal tree. and the apartment. and its inhabitants. and... she is serious about making delicious food if you come over. trust me.

sincerely,

your old neighbor

CA Poppy said...

While the "manufactured memory" of the parents bedroom rings true, we are glad that tradition continues unabated. The ttree is great, and I hope our gandsons love playing with it. The music art is cool too. My favorite part is the 12 foot ceilings, which I think you will love even more in the summer time. We love you.

Hugs and Kisses,

Mom and Dad