Saturday, April 25, 2009

Food Co-op


































I may have blogged about this before- but, indulge me...
I LOVE my food co-op! What is a co-op? you may be thinking. Well, in a nutshell, its a bunch of people who pay a small amount to "own" a share in a small company- that pays dividends to its members... REI is a co-op and for every dollar you spend there, at the end of the year you get a percentage back. There are cheese co-ops and grain co-ops but I think my Community Food Co-op is the best one I've seen so far!
Today I went and picked up my april "share". Sometimes it's really hit and miss- one month I got a bunch of radishes, bell peppers, mushrooms and onions with the rest of my stuff... Which didn't please me, let me tell you!
But todays was spot on! If you live in Utah, here's what you too could have picked up from your local distribution point for $23 or one whole share:
1 Whole 4 lb. Roasting chicken
1 lb. Lean ground beef
1 lb. Pork cubes
1 lb. Steak
1 loaf artisan Stoneground Wheat bread
5 lb. BEAUTIFUL New potatoes (red)
7 Bananas
4 large slicing tomatoes
5 fresh oranges
3 english cucumbers
1 head red-leaf lettuce
3 heads broccoli
1 lb. Medium grain rice (your choice white or brown) perfect for risotto!
1 lb. Strawberries (so beautiful red and sweet! Not sour or under-ripe at all!!!)

Now, Go to your local grocery and find out how much GOOD food you can get for $23 bucks!
I've tried. Not a lot.
All the co-op does is cut out the Grocer from the chain of profits... The more people join, the lower the price, the better the food, the more fun!
So, now that I've done telling you why you should go out and find your local food co-op, the Utah Food Co-op is found online at: www.crossroads-u-c.org/cfc
Check it out! Its ALL over Utah, so even if you live up by Deanna or down by Emily, you should have a branch you can use... Give it a try and see how you like it- I did, and I'll NEVER go back to just grocery shopping as usual!

No comments: