Sunday, April 5, 2009

Painting my table

I have decided I want a change in my kitchen table! Right now, its a blond wood veneer and has stains (not from us) on the top. I don't want a new table- they are too expensive and I REALLY like my table! It folds out to double its size! I think thats so cool- no drop leaf, no piecing things together. If I need more room, I just twist the top around one leg and fold it out and voila! Big table!
I want to PAINT my kitchen table and if I hate it I guess I can just sand it all off. I'm not sure If I want to paint it and distress ( a la Shabby Chic), Paint parts only (like a farmhouse table), or go IKEA on my kitchen and just paint the whole kit and caboodle.
So, here's my dilema:
1. Who has experience painting a kitchen table that I can call and get advice from?
2. What COLOR should I paint things? I like Black, Deep Brown and White- they go with everything.
3. Or should I re-stain and seal instead of the painting?

I realize that everyone has a different idea of what they like in their kitchen but I really want to open this up. So, tell me what YOU would do if you needed to paint your kitchen table. I'm all ears!

2 comments:

Holly said...

Of course, without sitting down and really thinking about it, I might change my mind if I were to ever actually paint my table. I love black tables and I love deep red (almost burgundy) tables. I don't have the skill set to do anything fancy or too technical, so I would just paint the entire thing. Of course, you could pick a different color that may go with your kitchen better or that you just like better. But you're probably a more skilled painter than me, so you might want to do something much more artistic. One look that I also like sometimes (if it's done right) it dark brown table top with black legs. I don't have any experience doing this so I can't really give you any advice. Sorry, and good luck.

Connie said...

If it were me, I'd go with a stain and not paint it. I have had disastrous luck with painting the tops of things that you later want to write on, and you can't quite do it because of the undulating surface. They do it all the time on design shows, though, so it must be possible for those with a higher skill set than I have... which means an orangutang (can't even spell it) could handle the job with relative ease.