Wednesday, March 10, 2010

One of THOSE days

You know what I mean.
The kind of day that starts for you in the middle of the night because the baby WILL NOT go back to sleep without me holding him- and ONLY me. And then the toddler wakes up at 6:23. Yeah, I checked the clock and that's the time it said. Too bad I was up only an hour and half before this with the baby again.
The kind of day where it seems like no matter WHAT you say to your child(ren) no one will do what you ask. James has a VERY hard time following directions anyways, and I'm not totally sure why, but he chose today to pretend to be completely deaf. So any time I asked him to do something I'd ask and ask and ask, and then I'd go to get him to do what I wanted and he'd run away which means I am now chasing him, so once I catch him maybe I can get him to do what I asked him to do in the first place. But when I catch him the response is one of two: 1. Blood-curdling screaming or 2. "the slug". Neither of these options is okay with me when the baby is crying because he needs SOMETHING (I have no idea what) but I can't seem to just "let it go" because some time or another, James will HAVE TO LEARN how to follow my instructions when I instruct them- things like "Do NOT run into the street into oncoming traffic and get run over" (while I watch him run pell-mell for the street). He must think making my life this difficult is FUNNY or something.
Guess what, kid. It's not.
And sometimes, having another adult there is STILL no help at all.
So, this evening I gave up. I fired myself from parenting for 20 minutes. I laid down with the light off. I anticipated my RnR being a bit longer, but I was summoned by Oliver who was pushed by big brother (which happens WAY WAY WAY too often in my home).
All I can think right now is- wow. What a crappy day.
PLEASE let tomorrow be better.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Drugs. Drugs are a good thing. No, I'm just kidding... maybe. =) Just remember to breathe! It'll all be over and better (you know, in 20 years tops). Ah the "joys" of parenting. Have you ever tried a chore chart with James? I haven't with Emma, but I've been meaning to, just to give her some more responsibilities, but it would probably have other good effects too. Maybe it wouldn't (or hasn't) work, but it might be worth a try? Good luck.

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

Ugg. I know how you fell. Hang n there. This too shall pass :)