Friday, March 26, 2010

What's a head gasket among friends?

This is apparently what is leaking under my car- the Head Gasket.
I say, SURE, no problem. We'll just fix it.
Subaru dealer says, okay, that'll bring your total to $2,000.00 because you've got a leaking CV Boot joint too.
WHAT?!
And you want to know the best part? They're being completely honest.
really.
I've had it checked out by 2 other independent mechanics just to make sure.

So now what?
Well, that's what we are deciding. Whether to fix "the big fix" to the tune of $1,600. or to do the "little fix" to the tune of $200-$300.
We LOVE our suubie-baby. She has been the BEST car for the snow. This winter was Worst Winter in History #13 (barring snow in April, which is unlikely), which means there were 41" of snow. My car powered through 24" of snow with no problem. My neighbors were all jealous.
BUT
What about selling it? Wouldn't it be nice to have a little larger vehicle- especially with 2 rambunctious boys? Something like a Honda Odyssey? And I do realize this puts me squarely into suburban-mom category.

What would YOU do if this were YOUR vehicle? Big fix and keep the Subaru? Little fix and sell the Subaru? Little Fix and keep until we can find a mini-van?

I'm all ears.

2 comments:

Kierst said...

Oh, that's a tough one. I'm not looking forward to that decision someday for us. Sometimes, though, I think we are growing out of our car and it would be nice to have something a little larger, although, turning to a mini-van is just hard to stomach. That said, in my opinion, it's probably the best option. Go for the small fix and start saving. You're going to have to get something bigger down the road anyway, especially since one of your kids will probably decide that the bass is the coolest instrument on the planet and you'll have to haul the dang thing around.

Holly said...

The only problem with only doing a small fix and then trying to sell it, is you won't get as much money for it because there will still be a problem with it. That said, maybe the extra money you'd get selling it wouldn't cover the cost of the full repair. Tough call. I like the sound of the Honda, but that's because I'm a Honda girl. Both our cars are Hondas and we've never had even one problem with either, and one is 6 years old now. I don't know about a minivan. I've never been a big fan. I prefer SUV's. When we need more space I'll want to upgrade to the Honda Pilot or something similar. But they might be more expensive than a minivan. Wow, you've got a lot on your plate. Good luck!!