Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Grammy

I'm not really sure how to start this post. Should I try for humor? Should I make it sappy? Is there really any appropriate way to write about passing from one life into another?
I don't really think so.
So, here are the facts.

Fact: Grammy Maria Bailey passed away yesterday morning.
Fact: It's a good thing for her- her body was done living.
Fact: She influenced so many people and was a good woman.
Fact: Also fiery and VERY funny (now, as I'm older she gets funnier).

I have a few memories of her I would like to share.

Since I am part of a blended family, I have more of the best family than most people. 3 sets of grandparents instead of 2, more fabulous aunts and uncles, and lots and lots of CULTURE (or "cul-tcha" as we like to say when we're being snarky)! Which is nice for little white-bread old me. I need as much culture as I can get.
When we were very new as a family I remember going to El Paso, TX for christmas one year. Or maybe it was a stop on the way to somewhere else for christmas. Either way, we ended up at Grammy's house. She had this enormous walnut tree in her yard that we tried to pick nuts and eat. I'm not sure if we ever succeeded in this endeavor. but I DO remember playing the front runner to Jenga called Takarati Blocks. It was such a novel game and I remember playing it with my sister. Grammy had wood floors and I remember thinking the crashing sound of the tiles sounded so neat against the hard wood- but Grammy wasn't so excited about that sound. She came out of wherever she was and told us to clear out and try to find some other place to play because she couldn't listen to that awful sound anymore. It's a small memory but it's my first of her specifically.
Another memory:
Grammy came to visit us a few years later. I was so excited because she got to share my bed with me!!! We had a wonderful time with her until bed time. Now, I don't actually remember what happened in the bed, but I do remember that the next morning Grammy had to ask to sleep somewhere else because all I did was kick her in the back all night long. I felt so bad about that!!! Amy always has slept like a mummy- just as still as a log and I've always been a thrasher- you know the kind. Poor Grammy, she had to sleep with "The Thrasher".
Last memory:
Grammy came to visit us one more time. Amy and I were in high school and taking spanish. Grammy, of course, spoke spanish and would watch Univision all the time! After school, she would be watching Telenovelas and invited Amy and I to join her. This was a great way to learn a few things:
1. Conversational spanish goes MUCH faster than english and you need to develop your ears just right to listen that fast
2. No one does soap opera like that channel.
3. Maria Del Sol was the awesomest soap opera ever! I still remember the deep voice and smooth words of the announcer. Maria del SOL.

Grammy, you must be so much happier right now and I'm proud to have been a part of your family. Thank you.

ps. I have two little blond boys! You would have loved meeting them!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'm so sorry, Ashley. There's nothing in the world to compare to a fabulous grandma. And it sounds like you definitely had one.

A Momma said...

I'm so sorry about your grandma. I'm glad you have so many fond memories of her. Good grandmas are the best.