Monday, November 17, 2008

What to write

I have decided that I'm a terrible blogger for a few reasons.
1. I don't take pictures like crazy (I'm looking at you, mom) and therefore, don't have the arsenal that most other folks have. Its not that I don't enjoy pictures- I think that maybe the things I take pictures of (James, James and more James) are less interesting to most other folks than they are to me. Verily, in an effort to spare you (dear readers) of the kind of insufferable bragging that inevitably seems to accompany pics of one's only child, I don't post pictures unless I've got either a great story to go with it, or a good picture.
2. When I write out my blog, I have a hard time being witty. Deanna Munoz is always entertaining, humble as pie, and I LOVE reading her blog because its FUN! Lanette Hopkins is fun to keep up with because she posts YUMMY recipies and I like hearing about her family because I love her so much (you too Deanna). Pretty much everyone my mom has a link to, I love to read, and I read them voraciously.
3. How honest can you actually be on a blog that millions of people have access to? There are things I would love to talk about, but maybe they're just not that appropriate for the blogosphere- like how much I hate how HUGE my boobs are now that I'm expecting again- things like that. This kind of blatant parading around of ones bra size is not that relevant to most folks lives- nor do they really want to hear about all the other things I may just need an outlet on. Thats why God created husbands though- right? and Best friends?
4. Sometimes, I really have nothing to say. John Cage said "I have nothing to say and I am saying it". This pretty much sums up a lot of how I feel about my life. Things are good- we have a home to live in, food to eat, clothes to wear and little things to look forward to. The gospel is still true and I love my family. When so many things are going right, I almost feel like I'll be tempting fate to talk about how good things really are on a blog. Its like when I put James down to bed. We always say our prayers and I always purposefully leave OUT a plea that we have a solid night of sleep- because if I ask for it, it NEVER happens. So, I don't say it out loud, but I'm desperately praying for it in my heart. I am extremely blessed to have the things, people, love, experiences et all that I do. And sometimes, just feeling that humble thankfulnesin my heart makes me so full, that I honestly don't think I could put it down in words- for fear that it will all be taken away. But I guess that's a huge weakness on my part- maybe i really do need these things taken for a short while so I can be more vocal in my gratitude. I don't know.

So, here is my desire:
I want to become as good a blogger as Bonnie, Lanette, Deanna, my parents and all the wonderful people who I check up on even though they probably don't know it.
I am in the process of a few big things right now. One, I'm growing a baby. Thats pretty big- even though its only about 2 inches long now and weighs about 2 sugar packets.
Two, I have a piano studio and we are going to Primary Childrens Medical Center this saturday to perform a small recital for the folks who are not going to have a "Merry Christmas"- I'm intending to blog about that extensively. We're doing this twice this season and I may go by myself a few times because I think everyone deserves to hear something beautiful this christmas- and if I can bring that to even one family who will appreciate it, I will feel that my talents have been put to good use.
Three, I am making stockings. Nice ones- Velvet, like my Aunt Janet used to make. Complete with Gothic calligraphy cross stitching names and the whole shebang- I'm doing everything. I would like to write about my experiences doing this, although they may turn into frustrated rants about how I can't seem to get the spacing just right! 
If I thing of another thing to write, I'll insert it here and there.

The "tag line" of my blog says: All the world is music and it happens everyday. Make your music count. Let this holiday be the one where you truly make your music count- give to those in need, comfort those who stand in need of comfort and life the burden of someone new. That is the best music of all.

6 comments:

Lanette - Never Give Up! said...

Ashley you are a great blogger!! Thanks for your kind words but I think we all feel the way you expressed it - like we have nothing interesting to say.

It just goes to show how regular life is perfectly wonderful and entertaining. I look at blogging like sitting on the front porch talking to neighbors like the good old days. So don't hesitate I love stopping by and hearing about your ordinary, fabulous life!!

Anonymous said...

The "tagline" for my whole website is that exact John Cage quote you listed. That's the way I roll...then no one expects anything. I totally write my blog for my wife, 'cause I know no one else cares. I just try to make her laugh. I like reading yours.

D and C said...

You are adorable Ashley! I love reading your blog, you are awesome!!! Not post some pic's of your cute belly!!!
LOVE YOU!

CA Poppy said...

Time and Space.

Julie Andrews liked Raindrops and mittens, I like the above, and I love my daughters. Their lives may be mundane to them, but time and space are bridged by technology, blogging, bowling in matching outfits, bragging about my Grandson, and the new sugar packets. Life is good, and even though there are too many things to worry about sometimes, there is always time to enjoy a bit of family news.

Hugs and Kisses,

The Father Unit.

D and C said...

I just had to tell you that, I heard this individual play the piano, shewas supposed to be like the best in all of the land. She had NOTHING on you!! I miss hearing you play, so when you can't think of anything to post...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post a video of your playing. YOu are truly talented, and I miss you!!!!

Shelli Snyder said...

I didn't know you blogged! I'm so thrilled with you for posting on mine so I can read yours. Gosh I love you, Ash. And yay for baby #2! That's exciting!