Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Dentist

This is not how our visit to the dentist went.
You see in this picture a happy, smiling, showing all of her teeth little girl with a happy, smiling, father figure dentist.
How idyllic.
How impossible.

Why is it that my 3 year old needed to go to the dentist in the first place, you ask?
Well, since he's in a special preschool here, and they require a dental visit, we had to oblige.
Maybe "oblige" is to nice a word.
Yes, it is. But I don't know what word is more appropriate.

Here's how things went.
We were running behind this morning, so I was rushing everyone about trying to make sure we made it on time. Miraculously, we did. We arrived with 5 mintues to spare, but I forgot- Paperwork. James' appointment was at 9am. I don't think we saw anyone until 9:30.
Oh well.
James was all interested in the chair, the tools hanging from the dish etc. He was directed to sit in the "comfy chair" and choose a toothbrush. This all went very well.
UNTIL
The "comfy" chair started to move. James was NOT happy he had to lay down in that chair. Then have a bright light flashed in his eyes. Then have someone try to brush his teeth for him.
I had to warn the hygenist about James not being able to use toothpaste yet. James bit her as she was trying to floss. Twice. By this time, Oliver has awoken to James' crying and has also started to cry. Wonderful.
So, the hygenist says she's not going to do the "tickle toothbrush", nor will they try to do any imaging. Read: the dreaded dental x-ray. Good, I say. He probably would not tolerate that.

This is where I interject a bit about parental control. There's only so much I can do to help my 3 year-old (ASD) child understand that the dentist is just trying to help, and to get cooperation from him. He's EXTREMELY sensitive to any stimulus on his face- ears, nose, mouth, hair etc...

The dentist comes in and tries to "count your teeth"- top or bottom? she asks James. Top, he says back. So, she tries. And tries. And again. By now, the hygenist has pinned James' arms down in an effort to keep him still.

But wait! There's MORE!

Since a flouride treatment in the conventional sense is absolutely out of the question, the dentist decides to paint on a VERY VERY VERY sticky flouride concoction with a special paint brush. This is where the fun beings. James clamps his mouth shut, lips shut and starts flailing this legs and crying for me. The dentist is trying to peel his lips apart to paint this gunk on, the hygenist is holding his arms down and his head back. My heart was so sad to have to help pin him down (I got the legs) so the dentist could paint this "bubble gum" flavored stuff on his teeth. He hates bubble gum flavor. After he's done with this hullabaloo, crying, he tells me he's "ticky ticky" which is "sticky" for the rest of us. He has this stuff not only on his teeth, but also on his lips, tounge, chin, fingers and now his shirt. I'm surprised it didn't get in his hair!

Oliver is still crying, by the way.

My poor little boys.

On the way out, the dentist says "oh, we'll need to see you in about 6 months. okay?"

Oh boy.


7 comments:

Jeanne said...

Find a new dentist!

Kierst said...

I would not be going back there! Was it a pediatric dentist? London saw a pediatric dentist a while back and loved it. She came out with a balloon and a goody bag and told me that they switched out her teeth for "princess teeth." They didn't get any good images because she kept spitting the thing out, but that was okay with them. Also, they wouldn't let me go in. I thought it would make things worse if I wasn't there, but she absolutely loved it. She's still telling people that she has princess teeth.

Holly said...

For sure get a pediatric dentist if he's not one. And maybe switch dentists anyway. I'm sorry your experience was so bad. Emma's gone twice already and we'll be going back next month for her next check up. She loves it. Her school didn't require it, but I just wanted to take her. It's a good age to start going. I went in with her (I would not have waited outside - that would not be okay with me) and she did fine. She doesn't have any issues with people touching her face etc. like James does (that would make it much harder!), but she seemed okay with my explanation that the dentist is just a doctor for her teeth. Good luck in 6 months. Did they at least have a treasure box or something for him to pick a prize out of?

Kierst said...

I almost forgot. Some insurance companies make you have a referral to go to the pediatric dentist. Ours did. I just explained about London's cleft palate and told them that her doctors wanted us to see a pediatric dentist. In your case, being uncooperative could actually get you a referral. So if you didn't go to a pediatric dentist because you needed a referral, I'm sure you could get one now.

Laura McBride said...

Ok. We all have to get used to the dentist, BUT a lot of the things that hygenist was doing were not necessary and she shouldn't have pushed him so much. For that very reason you should try to switch. He doesn't need a flouride treatment. It's nice if he is cooperating, but heck it's his first time and has sensitivity issues. How about a slow approach so he's not scared of dentists forever!! Poor thing... all 3 of you. I expected much of the same from Cade but he surprised me. Maybe it helped that he watched me get my teeth cleaned and then it was his turn. Sorry babe!

Shelli Snyder said...

Oh, Ash ... you're the woman.

Dentist in Los Angeles said...


This is really innovative! How interesting! For a good dentist.



Dentist