Sunday, October 11, 2009

update

Since I do not have a separate blog to record my success and distress while I'm pursuing my dreams of once again fitting into my good jeans, I will report on this one. So, if you've NO interest in hearing what I did this week and do not really care what I'm doing next week, you can leave off and I won't be offended.:)

Last week I said I'd work out. So I did.
Monday, I swam for 30 minutes. Wow. I forgot how good it feels to be in the water, how powerful my body can be, and how exhausting it is to do flip-turns. honestly. I thought I had pretty good lung support. Well, not anymore! I was taking breaths every 2 strokes. Boo. New goal: get through a 30 minute workout breathing steadily- every 4 strokes.

Tuesday, I had the best yoga class of my life. The lady who teaches it is named Reesa James and she's in my ward. We work together a LOT- I'm her choir pianist and we're combining our piano studios for the Christmas concert and the year-end concert. After the class, I was sore from my eyelashes to my pinky toes. And I'm really NOT kidding. My FEET were sore. Not in a "I wore high heels for 8 hours and my feet are KILLING me" way. oh no. In a "I was in a triangle pose for 45 minutes and my feet are going to fall off" kind of way. But it felt really good to identify all those muscles and muscle groups that get lost in poor posture, child rearing, pregnancy and housework. New goal: Do this twice a week. Not just once:)

Wednesday was my Eliptical/Treadmill day! This was the more relaxing workout. Not that I wasn't sweating. The eliptical heart-rate monitor said I was getting an appropriate cariovascular rate, so no worries there! But the mind was less tense. You know what I mean. Sometimes it's nice to forget about your body working hard and just WORK. The treadmill is always fun to get off of. I feel like I'm such a smooth walker for a few minutes! I'll never need to know what it feels like to be stumble-drunk! Just do a half-hour power hike on a treadmill and POOF! Feels like you're walking on very slick air. New goal: increase climb on treadmill and do an actual "program" on the eliptical.

Thursday was my day off. Not that I really wanted one- but my YMCA only has 6 slots for infants and when those are taken, they cannot accept babies. Ergo, I cannot drop mine off for an hour. However, I was still productive! I cleaned my house and went to find a winter coat because the weekend was supposed to be (and ultimately was) VERY cold, snow, wind, rain.

Friday: Eliptical and treadmill again. Not bad. Took headphones this time and actually got to watch CNN while working out. So nice.

I'm really looking forward to continuing this program of exercise. I'm happier, more productive, more energetic (if that is possible) and a better person all around.

favorite quote about exercise:
"Exercise produces endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't kill their husbands. They just don't."

10 points to whoever can name the film.:)

2 comments:

Kierst said...

Legally Blonde. Duh! Except now I can't remember if it's the first or second one.
P.S. Good job on the exercising. I need to follow in your footsteps!

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

Remember when we use to go swimming together... that was fun. I need a swim buddy now... it is just too hard to get myself out of bed by myself. I'm impressed with all your hard work!