Thursday, May 27, 2010

No, I mean exercise.

This really happened to me yesterday.

Drue and I took the time to go to an AWESOME thrift store here in Lincoln. Oliver was with us too.

We're just shopping- you know the kind, just browsing and not looking for anything particular until something pops out at you. That's the best kind I think, because you didn't think you needed anything but you're ALWAYS wrong, and pleasantly so.

Back to browsing.

I decided I should look at the exercise gear to see if I can find a pair of (smaller, FINALLY) running pants or shorts. I can't find the section I need and there's a staff member in front of me so I ask

"Excuse me, I'm looking for your exercise clothing. Where is that section?"

"Do you mean the Plus Size section?"

(me in disbelief. Did she really just suggest I find clothing in the plus size section? I pause before answering)

"Well, I know I'm not petite or anything, but I mean the exercise clothing section, I'm looking for a new pair of running pants or shorts."

"okay, well the sweatpants and stuff are right there and the Plus size section is right next to it."


Let's pause here a second for some clarification...
I am not in plus size clothing. I may not be as slim and trim as I once was (let's all heave a collective sigh for the days of size 6.... And now let's all re-energize out thoughts that it IS possible to regain -most- of our formerly svelte figures), but really. I've no doubt that I have the potential to reach plus-size proportions but I have been working really hard on keeping myself healthy. I'm sure this staff member was not trying to be hurtful but it was truly depressing. In a serious way!
What this woman seemed to say to me was:
I see that you are obviously overweight, frumpy and less-attractive than me, so you might want to see the exercise section, but I think you obviously are delusional and so I'm going to recommend you to the plus size outer-darkness in this store- IT'S WHERE YOU BELONG.

Ouch.

I have news for you dearie.
My body may not be in great shape, but it's getting progressively better.
I've had 2 CHILDREN for heaven's sake- and you look like you're 15, so I'm gonna guess you have none. Just wait honey, kids ruin the figure.
And I'm not dressed to the nines. So what that I had a rough morning, my hair is tied back in a bun, I'm not wearing even a hint of makeup, my best supporting bra is in the wash and there's baby juice on my shirt. Don't you have off days too?!

I'm working on it.

I can't really wish you ill- that's just not something I do. But please be more considerate next time you run into a woman like me- and compliment her instead of insulting her. The Karma will be better for you.

3 comments:

Kierst said...

First of all, I saw you a year ago and wouldn't have thought you were a plus size! Now, especially since you're smaller, that's amazing that she said that to you. And even if you were a plus size, can't you still exercise??? In fact, if you're a plus size, you SHOULD exercise! (Okay, even if you're not a plus size.) And one more thing. You're allowed to look frumpy in thrift stores. That's what they're all about.

Shelli Snyder said...

That's so funny, Ash. I'm sorry, friends laugh at friends sometimes. :) But if I were there I would have defended your honor somehow.

Jeremy and Sarah said...

AMEN Sistah! Nuff said.