Friday, January 9, 2009

Mamma Mia indeed!

I saw Mamma Mia yesterday. (what a great opening line)
I was all ready to be blown away- I'd heard it was good.
What I got was better.
At the end of the film, I just had to smile and chuckle to myself. It was Ridiculous. But in a great way. 
Here's what I thought was FRESH about Mamma Mia:
1. Meryl Streep doing the splits. I think she's an incredbly talented actress, but I NEVER in a million years thought I'd see her do the splits while jumping on a bed. honestly.
2. Julie Walters. Again, awesome actress (if you ever saw "driving lessons" she was wonderful) and just a WHOLE lot of fun to watch have a BALL.
3. Meryl Streep (again) in skin-tight disco glitter pant-suit with spacy platform heels, singing and dancing with make up that would make a drag queen envious. Again, who comes up with this stuff?!
4. Pierce Brosnan. I think he's UBER handsome, especially for an old guy. But I must admit- watching him sing was a little painful. It must be that natural grace that kept him so enticing throughout the film.
5. The cast of random greek ladies singing Dancing Queen. Gives me smiles all over just remembering the "pier dance".
6. The cast of random bachelors dancing on ANOTHER pier wearing 50's swimsuits (I'm thinking Moondoggy shorts) and flippers! Every try even WALKING in flippers? The dancing was HILARIOUS, I was laughing so hard I think turned a hair gray.
7. The portrayal of middle-aged, mom-of-the-bride's having as much fun (if not MORE) than the 20-somethings. This is what I think I liked best- the idea that just because you get older, doesn't mean you have to loose your adventurous spirit- nor your sense of humor. More experienced ladies can be just as crazy- if not MORE- than their younger counterparts. Marriage doesn't end girlfriends, nor does children. We are as essential to each other as we ever were. How fun is that?! I love the idea that I can be 45, go to greece, dance, sing and cavort with girlfriends- and ITS OKAY!!! If you love your life, LIVE IT OUT LOUD.
As Mamma Mia put it:
Donna: I grew up.
Tanya: Then grow down a little!

I think thats a great way to be.

1 comment:

Laura McBride said...

This is why I need my Ashley near me. Dan doesn't want to watch Mamma Mia and it would be the perfect girl's night out movie. Miss ya!