Friday, January 23, 2009

Tortilla Heaven


Oh beatuiful, for spacious skies for amber waves of grain...
Except that most folks don't know what to DO with said grain once it's been acquired.
Hence, my FOOD BLOG. I'm hoping to post some recipes that I have found useful and easy.
Today, TORTILLAS!!
Okay, background:
I was asked to teach the Relief Society how to make homemade tortillas. This sounded like a perfectly reasonable request to make but for one thing: I've never made homemade tortillas. Granted, I've watched my MOM make them many times- but I don't think that quite qualifies me to teach about them.
I called my mom in a panic-
me: mom! I need your tortilla recipe! The ladies in the Relief Society have lost their minds- however temporarily- and have asked me to teach at enrichment. Help me!
mom: mija, don't worry. here's my recipe. You'll do fine! oh! BLOG about it when you're done!

The actual even was a LOT of fun- and everything went smoothly. No burnt tortillas, fingers or anything else! HOWEVER, I actually had ladies in my RS ask me "okay, how do I use these?"
What?!
So, I told them:
1. scramble and egg, add salsa and homemade tortilla- BAM! Breakfast Burrito
2. add salad, little grilled chicken and salad dressing- BAM! Lunch wrap (healthy too!)
3. add enchilada sauced chicken and taco toppings- BAM! The best taco you've ever had.

Now, without any further ado, the recipe:
4 cups flour
2 t baking POWDER
2 t salt
1/2 c shortening
1/2 c warm water

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in Shortening. Cut in water until its a nice "dry" dough. Knead a bit with your hands-but not too much!
Roll into 1"-2" diameter dough balls, place in a bowl and cover with a towel.
Roll out ball into flat "tortilla" shape:)
Cook on electric griddle, comal, cast iron skillet or any other flat bottom cooking device on medium heat until the tortilla begins to turn a nice caramel color on the bottom of the bubbly bits. Flip.
If you NEED to check your tortilla to make sure its cooked all the way, sacrifice one to the tortilla gods (aka your mouth)

Enjoy your new found favorite recipe!

No comments: