Friday, March 6, 2009

The doctor says...

I had ANOTHER doctor appointment yesterday- the Glucola test appointment. For those of you who are unaware of this blessing, let me explain. This test is designed to help the doctors know if you have gestational diabetes. You are required to drink 10 oz. of liquid sugar within a 5 minute time limit. This WONDERFUL drink must be consumed EXACTLY one hour before you have your blood drawn by your local vampire. The medical intention is to find out how your body responds to an OVERLOAD of sugar- if it is digesting and breaking down the enzymes fast enough, then you are clear. If you are NOT doing this fast enough, then you have to do another test this time involving fasting and drawing blood 3 times over a 4 hour period. Luckily, I did not have to do that part- I just had to drink this stuff that looked like acid kool-aid and BURNED going down my throat. I drank the orange stuff- my doc didn't have the lemon-lime flavor this time.
So, I drank the draught, went to the doc, got my blood drawn and then the fun begins. I honestly don't want to know how much weight I've gained over the last month, but the nurse is insistent on saying it out loud. Okay, fine. So, I'm roughly the size of a small house. My Doc says "well, you're a little high, but its better than last month." Thanks for that. How much do I owe you for that one? Listen to the heartbeat. I really do enjoy this part- its nice to hear a strong, healthy beating heart. Then we get measured from pelvis to the top of the fundus (aka uterus)- 28. I'm supposedly in week 27, but the height of your fundus and your progress through the 40 wonderful weeks of pregnancy are supposed to be equivalent. Verily, I'm technically in week 28. This means I've only got 12 more weeks to go! This makes me VERY happy. I'm hoping that after I give birth to this little boy- who we have decided to name Oliver Dean Daily- I'll be able to walk around without throwing out my back. Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: