Sunday, August 23, 2009

It begins...

Tomorrow, my beautiful James begins school. Real school. At a real elementary school. He has been accepted into the 'Excite' program here in Lincoln. Excite is for kids with developmental delays among other things. There are about 10 kids in the classroom- some are model students enrolled in the 'Head Start' program- and the rest are Excite kids. James is, obviously, an Excite kid.
I met his teachers on friday, and they seem to be WONDERFUL. They were watching James as we had our classroom overview and were happy to see him be so curious and exploratory.
I would like for some things to happen this year for James in school., so I'm writing them down and giving them to the Universe with all the faith and belief in my heart that the things I'm expecting to happen, WILL HAPPEN.
1. I want James to learn to express his desires in his own words- without having to be prompted.
2. I want James to learn control over his self-stimulating behaviors- or "stims".
3. I want James to eat with a fork and spoon- to self feed.
4. I want James to play WITH children and learn to use his imagination.
5. I want James to be happy, healthy and content with himself, our home and our family.
6. I want James to respond to directions and his name.

I'm sure I'll think of more things but these are the big ones for me and for him. I am proud of the progress he has made so far- his vocabulary has just exploded this year. He loves to read, sing and play cars. He loves animals- esp. fish- and if there's a ball anywhere, he'll find it and play with whomever it belongs to. James is growing up so fast! He's excited for school and so am I!

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

He is going to do GREAT!! So glad you found a good place for him so quickly.

I did contact Alex Remy, but she can only give lessons in the afternoons and evenings and I think with soccer mornings would be MUCH better. Any other leads?

Julene said...

Hey Ashley! Long time, no talk! I didn't know you had moved! To Nebraska? And you have a new baby! Oliver looks like such a cutie! I'm sad I didn't get to see you before you left. I've been thinking (about 3 times a week) that I needed to get down there, see how you were, meet your new baby and pick up some Mary Kay stuff. Alas, I procrastinated too long! I hope school goes great for James. I heard through the old Hawthorne Ward grapevine that he had autism. Is that right? That must be really hard. Hope you don't mind my looking through your blog...found a link on Heather F's blog. Best wishes with your new endeavors far, far away!

The Villarreal's said...

Oh sweet James will do awesome. He is so cute, so is little Oliver. We miss you guys!