Thursday, August 20, 2009

My first project

I posted earlier about wanting to get into Quilting. I was thinking I needed a small project to give myself a little practice before I pull out the big guns and make a huge bedspread for myself! So, I decided to make a wall hanging/ crib quilt for my boys!
I found a GREAT sewing and fabric store only 3 minutes away from my home- which could mean trouble, but I won't dwell on that now- this morning. James and I were a bit early but the owner was so nice and let us in to sell me some fat quarters I could practice on until I was confident with my piecing. I was looking through her SALE fat quarters and found this:
Which is not a fat quarter, its a panel, but it was so CHEAP! And then, I found this:
And this:
AND this:
So, with all these GREAT airplane fabrics, I've found my very first project without much trouble! When I laid out all my fabric, I saw this:
I think he might like the idea, but I'm not sure:)

One thing remains: I need a fabric color for a fourth to piece with AND back with. Looking at the fabrics I have, WHAT COLOR AND TYPE OF FABRIC WOULD BE A GOOD BACKING?



2 comments:

Shelli Snyder said...

I'd do a denim or a cordouroy. Is that spelled right? I don't know. It's late. :) Anyway, I'd do something a little heavier on the back. That's what I've done, anyway, and I think a slightly heavier blanket appeals to Chiara sometimes. Goos luck!! Post pictures when you're done! :)

Braeden and Jackie said...

I agree with Shelli, a denim or corduroy. I would probably choose a darker blue color that would match the blue on the panel as well as the third fabric. But that's just me and I haven't had my "craft" on for a long time. You're making me jealous.